I voted for the Second Reading of the Bill to trigger Article 50, because this was the view of the majority of my constituents.
Over the last two months I have written to 5,500 constituents and held 6 public consultations. Of course the people who came were a mix of Leavers and Remainers. But on some of these issues there were shared views:
- Overwhelming support for the Common Market to support trade with the EU and North East manufacturing
- Support for employment and social rights, and a desire not to let the Tories water these down.
- Support for Interpol, the EU Arrest Warrant and co-operation on tackling crime and security
- Support for environmental standards and co-operation on research and development
- Support for parliament to hold the Government to account on the way it handles the negotiations
Consequently, I intend to vote for amendments to get the right deal for the North East.
You can follow the passage of the Bill on the Parliament website.